Do you apply fertilizers commercially?
If you answered yes, then you are required by Florida state law to earn Green Industries Best Management Practices certification and apply for a Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services applicator license.
The next Green Industries Best Management Practices (GI-BMP) workshop will be held on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 from 8:15 am to 3:30 pm at the UF/IFAS Brevard County Extension office in Cocoa. Learn More.
Brevard Botanical Garden Annual Spring Plant Sale
Join us for one of Brevard County's most popular gardening events! The Brevard Botanical Garden Spring Plant Sale features hundreds of plants from annuals to trees. Want to add some pizazz to your garden? Check out the garden crafts. Interested in reducing your water bill? We'll have rain barrels for sale, too! Learn More.
April 11, 9AM to 2PM at 3695 Lake Drive, Cocoa
Register now for our classes. All classes are free and will be taught by local experts.
- 9AM - Nearly all of the plants sold at the sale are propagated by Master Gardeners. Horticulturist Sally Scalera will show how you can propagate your own plants at home.
- 10AM - Do you long for more color in your garden? Linda Gombert owner of Tulindas Garden has almost 20 years experience designing landscapes that are colorful and functional, and she will show you some simple tips for adding color to your garden.
- 11AM - No doubt about it, the bats and the bees are critical to a healthy ecosystem. Shari Blisset-Clark formed Bat Belfrys, Inc. in 2010 to conserve Florida's bats through public education and advocacy. Learn how you can help the bats and the bees.
- 12PM - What's a garden without butterflies? Long time floral specialist at Rockledge Gardens, Susan DelGiorno will show you how to attract these beautiful insects to your garden.
- 1PM - Love mangos? Avocados? Lychee nuts? Learn about tropical fruit and plants from one of the areas leading experts. John Realino specializes in tropical palms and plants. He can help you decide what grow best in your area.
10:30 - Noon: Do you wonder how you can help the Indian River Lagoon? Join us for this free My Brevard Yard workshop and learn what actions you can take in your own yard to help the Lagoon.
The World's Greatest Baby Shower
Are you an expecting or new mom? If so, join us on May 9 for the annual World's Greatest Baby Shower. Learn about car seat safety, SIDS prevention, postpartum depression, or sit in on the "Ask a Doc" panel. Educational exhibits, food presentations, and door prizes also available. Registration required.
4-H Summer Sewing Series
Sponsored by the Sew Much Fun 4-H Club
Learn to sew your own cell phone bag or make an owl pillow. Class size is limited (one child per machine), so register soon. All classes are 2:30-4:30PM, cost $15, and are open to children ages 8-18 (children aged 5-7 may attend with an older sibling and must be accompanied by a parent).
- Cell Phone Bag Class - June 3
- Owl Pillow Class - June 17
Contact Vanessa Spero-Swingle at email@example.com to register
Safety Considerations for Back Yard Chickens
While enjoying all the benefits of raising back yard chickens, it is also important to remember the risk of illness. Read more.
What Floridians Think They Know About Water Quality and Quantity
The University of Florida IFAS Center for Public Issues Education (PIE Center) recently released a report based upon the “Public Opinions of Water in Florida” survey. Taken by 749 Florida residents, the survey assessed public opinions related to water quality and quantity issues in Florida. Read More.
Does it Cost More to Eat Healthy?
Many people claim that it costs more to eat healthy, but does it really? According to UF/IFAS Extension experts in Brevard County, it really depends on how you total the costs. Read More.
My Brevard Yard Workshops
Sign up for the My Brevard Yard Workshop and learn how you can have a healthy lawn and protect our waterways!
One or three-hour workshops are available. Longer workshops are great for municipalities, homeowner associations, and other large groups. Call 321.633.1702 x 222 or Email to schedule a group workshop.
Soil Testing Information
Use these forms to send samples to the UF/IFAS Extension Soil Testing Laboratory
Call a Master Gardener
You can do your part to protect water quality by following a few simple steps toward making your yard Florida Friendly. For help with your lawn and landscape, call or email a Master Gardener at 321.633.1702.
Soil and Water Conservation District
The Brevard Soil and Water Conservation District assists farmers and ranchers with applying Best Management Practices to their operations.
Contact Dave Millard at 633-1702 x241 or email Dave Millard for assistance.